Dearly (un)Beloved

11:20 PM Zoe Andin 0 Comments



The backstory to my fictional character hate mail.

If you follow me on Twitter, Snapchat, or you and I have talked about this, you'll know that for the past two weeks, I've been in a writing workshop called "Wonder of Words". It ran for six days and it was actually a lot more fun than I expected it to be.

One of the pieces we had to produce was a letter to a fictional character that had an impact on our lives. We had the freedom to write to whoever we wanted to, say whatever we wanted to say, and no judgments would be given. Majority of my classmates wrote to characters they loved and they admired. Most of their letters talked about how much these characters have influnced them to be the people they are today, how these characters inspired them, and so on.

I was having none of that. So I wrote to Disney's original princess, Snow White.

I know what you're thinking, "oh Snow White! A classic princess! What a great choice!" Yeah, no. I wrote Snow White a long letter saying how she was my least favorite princess, how I despised her story arc, and all that jazz. I poured out my feelings for her into this letter as if she was real and would actually be able to read it.

I presented my letter and for some weird reason, everyone liked it. What a bunch of weirdos - but then aren't all writers weird?

A few days later, I was approached by one of our facilitators asking for a copy of my letter. I was confused but I sent it in anyway because I am many things but I'm not really one to question authority used well. And then it happened:

I was told that our faciliator would like to feature my letter on the website ManilaSpeak.com. I was dead inside, drowned in internal tears of happiness. I said yes.

So without further a do, here is my letter to Snow White (link).

- Zoe

0 comments :